Certified home health aide services provide personal care along with additional "incidental services" will help you maintain your maximum level of function, and/or to help you recover from illness or injury. These are available to you in addition to family or friends who may also be helping you. CHHA's are also an extension to the care provided by a nurse or rehabilitation therapist.
While you are coping with an illness or injury at home, many factors can affect your well-being. The social work staff at Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is available to assist you and your family in adapting and planning ways to make your adjustment more successful.
The social worker can be your advocate in accessing community resources that will help make your recovery easier. Such resources include:
- Homemaker Services
- Meals on Wheels
- Enegry Assistance
- Alternative Housing
- Vocational Training
- Friendly Visitor Service
- Emergency Response System
- Insurance Assistance
- Financial Assistance
- Respite Care
- Legal Aid
- Home Modifications
The social worker can also assist with long-range planning and can provide a listening ear to help relieve the stress relating to your illness or recovery process.
If your home environment needs changes due to your illness or injury, the social worker can help with those changes also. If you need help finding a wheelchair, walker, shower chair, bathroom grab bars, or other medical equipment, the social worker can help.
Most social work services are a home health care benefit under MEDICARE. PRIVATE INSURANCE policies sometimes cover medical social servcies, also. Our social work staff also provides CASE MANAGEMENT services for accessing OPTIONS FOR LONG TERM CARE. NW CO VNA is the SINGLE ENTRY POINT FOR LONG TERM CARE agency for Routt and Moffat Counties. MEDICAID funds these programs.
Our social worker will work with you and your family to help you stay in your home as long as you are able, by coordinating the services you need and by providing emotional support to you. Please ask for assitance if you need any of these services.
The following is an itemized list of the duties the nurses aides are allowed to perform according to the guidelines set up by our agency and private insurances.
Skilled Personal Care:
- Personal care, i.e.: tub, sponge, shower, bed baths, shampooing, shaving, nail care.
- Monitor medication compliance and assistance with reminding clients to take medication. CHHA's are not allowed by law to administer medication. That includes aspirin.
- Assitance with food, nutrition and diet activities including meal preparations.
- Prescribed exercises and range of motion.
- Take vital signs as ordered by MD and findings to RN.
- Simple wound care/dressing changes/skin care, i.e.: Apply lotion, powder, etc.
- Reinforcement of teachingn done by the nurse or therapist.
Incidental Tasks (Unskilled Care): The follwoing tasks may be performed if PERSONAL CARE
is the primary reason for the visit. Private pay clients may obtain these services through our homemaker service.
- Laundering of client's clothing and bedding.
- Occasional shopping for client's groceries and household items.
- Light housecleaning such as: dishes, vaccuming, dusting.
Under Medicare all CHHA services must relate to the client's needs. Family laundry, meal preparation, shopping and cleaning are not allowed under Medicare home health services.